Lynn McBeth Structural Engineering Consultant - Chartered Structural Design Engineer
RSS

Recent Posts

Architect, Structural Engineer or Surveyor?
What is a Structural Engineer?
Online Services
Services

Categories

Structural Engineer
Structural Engineer Services
powered by

My Blog

Architect, Structural Engineer or Surveyor?

The three main areas of construction professional may seem all the same to the someone outside the business.
All three may have some input within a given project, but actually they will all have very slightly different perspectives. Architects are interested in the aesthetic appearance of a project; surveyors are interested in the the value and use of the land, and engineers are interested in the strength and stability of all of the structural elements.
Architects
In times gone by, an architect was in charge of the builders on a project: The training of the modern architect still focuses on the appearance and function of the building and also the spaces within it, but additionally architects can be the 'lead consultant' for a project, meaning that they will direct all of the activities of the builders and the other professional designers, and are therefore ultimately responsible for every aspect of the work.
If your project requires consideration of aesthetics and use of spaces, you may need an architect.
Surveyors
The surveyors' profession has many divisions:
  • Building surveyors –  may undertake simple building designs, oversee building work, and identify minor visual defects.
  • Quantity surveyors – specialize in calculating the value and costs of building work.
  • Land surveyors – prepare plans of properties, sites and buildings.
  • Party wall surveyors – specialise in the laws regarding party walls.
If there are issues around the use and tenure of your land, neighbours, or construction costs, you may need to consult a surveyor.
Engineers
Originally they were designers of 'engines of war', engineers are now divided into more specialist disciplines, such as civil, chemical, mechanical, software, electrical, electronic and structural.
The things they all have in common is that they use science and mathematics to solve real problems.
Structural Engineers are concerned with the strength and stability of all of the individual elements of the construction – the solid members between an architect's 'spaces', such as the floors or walls between the rooms.
If you need assistance with the strength or stability of any structure, you need to engage a Structural Engineer

12 Comments to Architect, Structural Engineer or Surveyor?:

Comments RSS
essay about poverty and the ways of its solution on 28 July 2017 12:01
The different directions in construction have completely different perspectives. We must determine the most important direction for ourselves.

pen custom writing essays penessays on 22 April 2018 16:20
Originally they were designers of 'engines of war', engineers are now divided into more specialist disciplines, such as civil, chemical, mechanical, software, electrical, electronic and structural. The things th

www.penessays.com on 05 June 2018 10:35
Thanks a lot for sharing this post! I am glad your engineers are interested in the strength and stability of all of the structural elements.

Jhon on 06 July 2018 09:05
Informative post. I have very good knowledge about archetect. You have choose a very good topic Architect, Structural Engineer or Surveyor? Carry on sharing it. caster wheels

these grammar books can be your bible of english on 11 July 2018 10:52
Surveyors have a very large range of responsibilities that are very important and have so many different degrees requiring professional knowledge.

Chloe Franklin on 17 July 2018 10:35
Regular job.

carbonlessformsco on 21 July 2018 14:06
This post was very well written, and it also contains a lot of useful facts. I enjoyed your distinguished way of writing the post. Thanks, you have made it easy for me to understand.4 part Food Service Forms

rush my essays on 29 July 2018 12:13
If you have asked me the same thing then I would be choosing the profession of being an architect because there is a good scope in this field. Yet now I am a surveyor and I am doing well in this field.

Help With Finance Project on 04 September 2018 08:07
They Are Not Able To Finish The Writing Assignments On Time. For Some Students, Writing Any Writing Assignments Is Able To Waste Their Time

Do My Paper on 04 September 2018 10:01
Great Info! I Recently Came Across Your Blog And Have Been Reading Along. I Thought I Would Leave My First Comment. I Don’t Know What To Say Except That I Have

Jaime on 07 September 2018 12:25
Architect, Structural Engineer or Surveyor visitor is very important for us. I am reading the all important reading for us. I am appreciate in the work. heavy duty tarps for sale

Clark on 11 September 2018 06:53
I am very impress to watching the Architect Structural Engineer or Surveyor. Some people visited to here in the blog review is very good. I really like to it for here. Click here