Lynn McBeth Structural Engineering Consultant - Chartered Structural Design Engineer

Recent Posts

Architect, Structural Engineer or Surveyor?
What is a Structural Engineer?
Online Services


Structural Engineer
Structural Engineer Services
powered by

My Blog

Architect, Structural Engineer or Surveyor?

The three main areas of construction professional may seem all the same to the someone outside the business.
All three may have some input within a given project, but actually they will all have very slightly different perspectives. Architects are interested in the aesthetic appearance of a project; surveyors are interested in the the value and use of the land, and engineers are interested in the strength and stability of all of the structural elements.
In times gone by, an architect was in charge of the builders on a project: The training of the modern architect still focuses on the appearance and function of the building and also the spaces within it, but additionally architects can be the 'lead consultant' for a project, meaning that they will direct all of the activities of the builders and the other professional designers, and are therefore ultimately responsible for every aspect of the work.
If your project requires consideration of aesthetics and use of spaces, you may need an architect.
The surveyors' profession has many divisions:
  • Building surveyors –  may undertake simple building designs, oversee building work, and identify minor visual defects.
  • Quantity surveyors – specialize in calculating the value and costs of building work.
  • Land surveyors – prepare plans of properties, sites and buildings.
  • Party wall surveyors – specialise in the laws regarding party walls.
If there are issues around the use and tenure of your land, neighbours, or construction costs, you may need to consult a surveyor.
Originally they were designers of 'engines of war', engineers are now divided into more specialist disciplines, such as civil, chemical, mechanical, software, electrical, electronic and structural. 
The things they all have in common is that they use science and mathematics to solve real problems.
Structural Engineers are concerned with the strength and stability of all of the individual elements of the construction – the solid members between an architect's 'spaces', such as the floors or walls between the rooms.
If you need assistance with the strength or stability of any structure, you need to engage a Structural Engineer

2 Comments to Architect, Structural Engineer or Surveyor?:

Comments RSS
essay about poverty and the ways of its solution on 28 July 2017 12:01
The different directions in construction have completely different perspectives. We must determine the most important direction for ourselves.
Reply to comment

pen custom writing essays penessays on 22 April 2018 16:20
Originally they were designers of 'engines of war', engineers are now divided into more specialist disciplines, such as civil, chemical, mechanical, software, electrical, electronic and structural. The things th
Reply to comment

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint